Powerboat Week: August 15-19, 2018
FPC Emerald Coast Powerboat Week 2018 Agenda
Featuring FIVE days of powerboating events and parties
PM- “Trucks ‘N Boats” Powerboat Parade- Harborwalk Village
Earlybird Fun Run- Eastbound on ICW – Venue TBA
Miss Powerboat Week Contest / Crab Island Cantina- Harborwalk Village
Daytime: Poker Run check-in/ Captains Meetings- Emerald Grande- Friday Fun Run- Juana’s Navarre
PM: Captains Kickoff Party – AJ’s Destin
AM: Emerald Coast Powerboat Poker Run — 4-classes [Sportboat – Performance- Hi-Performance- Yachts & Cruisers]
PM: Awards party at Emerald Grande Ballroom
AM: Fairwell Breakfast – Grand Vista Level
PM: Crab Island Raftup Party
Premier Poker Run Event
$750 / Boat includes Captain & First Mate
- (2) Poker Run Hands – to play for Grand Prize Camaro and/or $ 25,000 OffleaseOnly Gift Certificate
- (2) Poker Run VIP passes for all FPC Poker Run functions- Tuesday through Saturday ( see list below)
- Poker Run souvenir tees – high quality cotton and dry-fit styles
- Captains goody bag with extensive sponsor merchandise
- FPC Lodging reservation service starting 6-months prior to event- for ALL your guests
- Access to FPC private room blocks at Headquarter hotel- Emerald Grand Resort & other official hotels
- Access to FPC VIP docking venues, including Harborwalk Village, AJ’s Destin, Brooks Bridge Marina- FWB
- Access to FPC private trailer parking lots in FWB and Destin
- Official souvenir 11×14 print/poster of team boat from the chopper
- Arial Chopper coverage (3) days- Friday through Sunday
- Video segment with personalized bio information about your team in the souvenir event video & YouTube
Catered functions for all Poker Run VIP’s include:
- Thursday Night Miss Powerboat Week passed apps and drink specials
- Friday Fun Run lunch at Juana’s Pagodas for your crew
- Friday Night Captains Party at AJ’s Destin with VIP area for poker runners.
- Saturday morning dockside continental breakfast at Harborwalk Village
- Saturday poker run lunch vouchers honored at (4) restaurants on poker run course
- Saturday Night VIP Bash at Emerald Grande with buffet dinner and reserved seating for teams
- Chance to win more than two-dozen poker run team Presidents Choice Awards
* Sponsorship opportunities available for any team that wishes to promote a marine product or business.
Additional Crew Fee — $ 150 Includes:
- Souvenir event tee shirt
- FPC office will make all hotel reservations for your registered additional crew
- Poker Run VIP entry and seating to Thursday night Miss Powerboat Week, at Crab Island Cantina
- Poker Run lunch ticket Friday at Juana’s ( poker runners only)
- Friday Night VIP Captains party pass including food at AJ’s Destin ( poker runners only)
- Poker Run Lunch voucher for participating lunch stops on Saturday poker run ( 4 locations)
- Saturday night function pass including dinner, and reserved seating Emerald Grand Ballroom
- Bidding rights to any of the silent auction items on display at the Saturday party
- Access to play your own hand Saturday at $100/hand – Please note: Winnings go to the boat/team owner
NEW RELEASE: FEB 14, 2018 – Destin, Florida
Destin Harbor never looked better, and Emerald Grand slips will be open for the FPC Emerald Coast Poker Run. The long-awaited Noriego Point restoration project is well under way. New retaining walls and continuous dredging over the last few months, now shows the new outline of where the point will now extend….much closer to the Hwy 98 bridge. This provides the much needed “protected waterfront” along Harborwalk Village, and opens up dozens of new transient slips that will be available to Emerald Grande guests for the Emerald Coast Poker Run.
Image taken two months ago, Dec 14, 2017 showing planed reclamation of Noriego Point.
New Release: May 1, 2018 – FPC finalizes charity selection as top beneficiaries of the Emerald Coast event!
FPC president Stu Jones is pleased to announce the charity selection has been finalized, with a total of five charities being awarded the status as Official Beneficiaries of the Emerald Coast Powerboat Poker Run. These five organizations include:
- Alaqua Animal Refuge
- Food For Thought
- Family Freedom Foundation
- Fisher House at Eglin AFB
- Emerald Coast Childrens Advocacy Center
Stu Jones commented, ” We are very happy that this new list of beneficiaries represents a wide cross section of charitable missions, with very dedicated founders, administrators and volunteers. With this mix, our FPC members will feel comfort in knowing they’re helping needy lower income families to feed their kids, abused children who have no where to turn, military families whose loved ones have been injured defending our nation, public servants who have suffered injuries as first responders, and abandoned animals who have life-threatening injuries.”
For Jones, this finalizes a four-month search, which began when the Executive Director of Okaloosa counties Eleanor Johnson Youth Center called Jones in January 2018, explaining that the local Emerald Coast Foundation, a 501(c)3 charity organization, put pressure on the charity to not participate as a Florida Powerboat Club charitable beneficiary. A similar scenario unfolded with another charity, Children in Crisis, where the most senior administrator called Jones with a rejection notice, saying that the organization did not want to accept FPC donations from the upcoming Emerald Coast Powerboat Poker Run.
“Four of these five charities have welcomed our intentions with open arms, and I know we have found a great mix, supporting so many worthy causes.” I have not had a phone call back from the executive director of the Emerald Coast Children’s Advocacy Center, but I did get an email with mixed signals, indicating that the a relationship with Florida Powerboat Club might be bad timing. I emailed the director back and conveyed that FPC was not looking for a relationship or volunteer support. We feel the CAC is a great organization, and we just want to raise them some money.”
As of May 9, 2018…Jones said there has been no further communication with the CAC.” I think they got the message. We just want to support any effort to enrich the lives of abused women and children..it’s as simple as that.”
NEW RELEASE: MARCH 5, 2018 – FPC SEEKING DESTIN CHARITIES FOR THIS EVENT
When Florida Powerboat Club made the right decision to create a “Powerboat Friendly” format for the Emerald Coast Poker Run, this created a two event format that was the safest, smartest outcome ….in reaction to the backlash from unhappy 2017 participants. The new format was created to solve many of the over-crowding issues at poker run parties, and improve safety management for participants and recreational boaters sharing the same waterways. In an effort to not upset the charity model that had been followed for years, Florida Powerboat Club elected to KEEP the main charity recipient, Eleanor Johnson Youth Center, so that the the new event format would not compromise the amounts this organization was accustomed to receiving. In this decision, it was also the intent of FPC President Stu Jones, to give its former event partner, Emerald Coast Foundation the opportunity to have more control of its final distribution of charity funds from their upcoming 2018 event.
Apparently, ECF board members did not see it that way, and immediately began putting pressure on the youth center’s executive director Todd Gatlin, telling him it was “not in his best interests to proceed with FPC”, and therefore he was forced to withdraw the Eleanor Johnson Youth Center as the sole recipient of the FPC’s 2018 Emerald Coast Powerboat Poker Run. Stu Jones commented, ” I have to say this absolutely blind-sided me! I’ve know Todd Gatlin for almost two decades and I can tell you for certain, he was just as dazed and confused as I was by the actions of the ECF. I believe he felt intimidated by the pressure he was getting, and I feel sorry for him having to go through this. But I really feel sorry for all those kids at the Eleanor Johnson Youth Center….because I know how generous our FPC members are, and our targeted fund-raising objectives in the ten’s of thousands of dollars, are now going someplace else.”
At the present time, FPC is seeking worthwhile beneficiaries for the Aug 15-19, 2018 poker run event.